About Surf City Cafe
Surf City Cafe is made up of a team of food and nutrition professionals that are dedicated to your students’ health, well being and their ability to learn. We support learning by promoting healthy habits for lifelong nutrition and fitness practices.
Surf City Cafe strives to provide healthy, tasty and appealing meals using local ingredients whenever possible and to give fun and friendly, informed customer service and nutritional education to all our students in a positive, equitable and safe environment.
Who We Are… At Surf City Cafe, our people are our greatest asset. We are passionate about locally grown foods and freshly prepared meals. We promote a positive atmosphere of empowerment and self direction where ideas are free and all voices are heard. We promote good work practices through informative real time trainings and good communication in an environment where people are treated fairly and with respect. We are committed to each other, and each and every student, each and every day.
What We Stand For
- We believe that no food can be greater than the ingredients you put into it.
- We are committed to not only meeting but exceeding the standards of California Wellness policy and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- We prepare foods with no Trans Fats or High Fructose Corn Syrup and seek to minimize Saturated Fats, Sugar, Sodium and Fatty Foods.
- We do not use any fried foods.
- We search for foods with the least amount of additives, sweeteners, salts, sugars, colors and preservatives.
- We buy as much locally grown produce as possible, shopping within the seasons to provide quality and value as well as a wide variety of foods.
- We practice “Stealth Health” making recipes that include whole grains and vegetables, using honey and juices as sweeteners, and using egg whites, applesauce and yogurt in baking instead of eggs and butter.